[Beepcore-java-users] what is wrong with the logging!!
noe
2004-10-12 07:11:47 UTC
Hi People,
Anybody can help me with the below problem it is been days that i
couldn't solve it.I really need some help! Thanks...

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:558)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:355)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:409)
at mankana.<init>(mankana.java:39)
at mankana.main(mankana.java:98)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:543)
David Blacka
2004-10-12 12:29:46 UTC
Post by noe
Hi People,
Anybody can help me with the below problem it is been days that i
couldn't solve it.I really need some help! Thanks...
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:558)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:355)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:409)
at mankana.<init>(mankana.java:39)
at mankana.main(mankana.java:98)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:543)
See <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/guide.html>

Commons logging is a wrapper around a number of possible different
logging systems, the most popular two are Log4J and the
java.util.logging.* classes in Java 1.4. Beepcore-Java uses
commons-logging so that folks using it can get beepcore-j to log using
their application's logging system, rather than forcing you to use
beepcore-j's logging system.

In your specific case, I cannot tell exactly why you are getting
NullPointerExceptions. But, I suggest you put the log4j
(<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/>) package in your classpath, as
that is the most natural fit for commons-logging.

I will admit that figuring out how to configure commons-logging to do
exactly what you want can be confusing. The technique that has worked
best for me is to configure log4j before any of the commons-logging code
gets called. (Actually, when using log4j, I don't think you need to
configure it before the commons-logging stuff is called, but if you are
going to use a different logging system, you need to set that up first,
I believe).

For example:

public static void main(String[] args)
{
BasicConfigurator.configure();

// manually set the logging level to debug.
Logger rootLogger = Logger.getRootLogger();
rootLogger.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);

Log log = LogFactory.getLog(YourClass.class);
log.debug("debug logging turned on");
}
--
David Blacka <***@verisignlabs.com>